1. “Free” – Perri Jones, Single; I love, love, love this song. It gives feelings of nostalgia and in my opinion makes you want to love, fall in love, chase your dreams and liberates you all at the same time. It is a song you never want to end and brings you peace from start to finish. It’s timeless and fitting for almost any mood. It takes you to church, to bed, to study, vibes, etc.
2. “I CHOOSE YOU”– Tobe Nwigwe, Album: THE ORIGINALS: I actually stumbled across this song on Facebook but I feel it has had a life changing impact. The way the artist speaks on love but can also incorporate substance and individuality is refreshing and soul touching.
3. “1 Oh Oh” – Big K.R.I.T., Album: TDT: One of my favorite artists who I believe to be completely underrated. It tells of love in a lyrical and tasteful way with highly commendable flow and heartfelt lyrics.
4. “Championships” – Meek Mill, Album: Championships: “See comin’ from where I come from, We had to beat the streets, beat the system, beat racism, beat poverty.” This line alone speaks for most African Americans and the experiences we have on a day-to-day basis.
5. “a lot” – 21 Savage – Album: I Am > I Was: As hard as this is to say, this may be my favorite because of J. Cole’s verse. Much respect to 21 and though I’m not a fan of his music, I definitely feel this album is far more different than all of his other projects but this song is most notable to me because of the content and individuality Cole brought to it. Not to mention this is an unexpected collab.