The Grambling State University football team will look to bounce back from a close road loss to rivals Alcorn State, with A win over Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) opponent the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Kickoff from Eddie G Robinson Stadium is set for 2 p.m.
Grambling State will broadcast the game on the Grambling State Sports Radio Network. The game can be heard in Ruston (KPCH 99.3 FM) and in Monroe (KJMG 97.3 FM). The Tigers broadcast crew of Santoria Black, Ossie Clark, Nick Harrison and Leon Thomas will call all of the action.
Grambling State (3-4 overall, 2-2 SWAC) comes into the competition having won two of their last three matches.
The Tigers suffered a 33-26 loss to Alcorn State in Mississippi last week.
In last week’s game, Marc Orozco tied Brian Morgan as the Grambling State University all-time points scoring leader.
Geremy Hickbottom was 20 of 36 passing for 279 yards and one interception.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1-6, 0-3), hasn’t won a game since week two (55-0 Cumberland University). The Golden Lions are coming off a 48-47 double overtime loss against Mississippi Valley State. The Golden Lions had 25 first downs and 503 total yards of offense.
Geremy Hickbottom led the ground game with 17 touches for 115 yards, but gained only 54 net yards.
Marc Orozco was named the SWAC Specialist of the Week.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff is still searching for its first SWAC win as the Golden Lions were edged in double-overtime by Mississippi Valley State, 48-47.
In order for Grambling State to reach the SWAC Championship, the Tigers will need help and it all starts this weekend when Alcorn State and Prairie View A&M meet.
A win for Alcorn State keeps the Tigers’ chances alive.
However, a loss would more than likely knock Grambling State out of the hunt for the SWAC Championship. This will be the 43rd meeting between Grambling State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
About the game
• The series began in 1951 with Arkansas-Pine Bluff capturing a 25-13 victory.
• The most points GSU scored in the series was 70 in 2016, while UAPB scored 54 points in 1998.
• Grambling State holds the longest win streak in the series at 11 games and is currently on a four-game win streak against the Golden Lions.
Last time out
• Grambling State enters the game off a 33-26 SWAC loss against Alcorn State.
• For the first time in the Broderick Fobbs era, the Tigers suffered a defeat in the month of October.
• The loss at Alcorn State was the first for Gram- bling State in 21 years (1997), which was also the final season Eddie Robinson roamed the sideline.
• Grambling State recorded 19 first downs finished with 3 292 through the air.
• With either a field goal or an extra point on Saturday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Marc Orozco will break Brian Morgan’s SWAC and GSU career record for points. Both are sitting on 325 career points.