HAWKINS, Texas — Kevreion Ward and Linzy Woods combined for 16 kills as the Grambling State University volleyball team picked up its first win of the season by sweeping past Jarvis Christian, 3-0, on Tuesday night.
The Lady Tigers (1-10), which stopped a 10-match losing streak and halted Jarvis Christian’s three-match win streak, took the match in straight sets, 25-13, 25-17, 25-22.
Ward tallied eight kills and hit .583, while Woods recorded eight kills and had a .700 hitting percentage to pace Grambling State. Sheila Borders and L’Muriell Thrower registered 13 and 12 assists, respectively. Kabria Dame finished with 13 digs to pace the defense, while Erineka Mollere added 11.
Tinikia Lacy led Jarvis Christian (4-6) with nine kills. Madyson Ashby chipped in with 13 assists, while Kandice Jackson added 12. Defensively, Jamesha Hutton tallied a team-high eight digs.
Inside the numbers
• Grambling State finished with a .449 hitting percentage (38 kills, seven errors, 69 attacks).
• Jarvis Christian recorded 31 kills, 11 errors and 77 attacks (.260 hitting percentage).
• The Lady Tigers tallied 30 assists, 25 digs, 10.0 total team blocks and three service aces.
• The Lady Bulldogs registered 31 assists, 24 digs, 4.0 total team blocks and one service ace.
• Grambling State rallied from six points down in the third set and hit .455 to earn the victory.
Ward paced the Grambling State University volleyball team with a team-high 11 kills, but it wasn’t enough to propel the Lady Tigers past Centenary as the Ladies picked up a 3-1 victory on Wednesday night at the Gold Dome.
Centenary (4-6) took the match with scores of 25-10, 20-25, 25-16, 25-18.
Ward carried the offense for the Lady Tigers (1-11) with 11 kills on 34 attempts and added six errors for a .147 hitting percentage. Talicia Lang and Chasity Nicks each recorded eight kills.
Sheila Borders and L’Muriell Thrower dished out 16 and 14 assists, respectively, while Thrower completed the double-double with 13 digs. Erineka Mollere paced the defense with a team-high and match-high 14 digs.
Alyssa Davis led the Ladies with 15 kills (.257 hitting percentage), while Lauren Kelley added 10. Rachel Demerjian registered 34 assists. Defensively, Marissa Sandoval and Kristian Loving each finished with 11 digs and Demerjian added 10.
Inside the Numbers
• Grambling State finished with a .092 hitting percentage (41 kills, 29 errors, 130 attacks).
• Centenary recorded 54 kills, 19 errors, 138 attacks (.254 hitting percentage).
• The Lady Tigers tallied 52 digs, 35 assists, 7.0 total team blocks and three service aces.
• The Ladies registered 57 digs, 51 assists, 8.0 total team blocks and seven service aces
The Lady Tigers will conclude the week at Louisiana-Monroe on Friday with a 6:30 p.m. match in Monroe.