Miss Black and Gold informs high school females

Recently, Valencia A. Chafford, Grambling State University’s Miss Black and Gold 2009-10, had a chance to continue implementing her platform Self-Esteem: Build Your Own Team.
In an effort to help prepare them for prom, Chafford spoke to the female juniors and seniors at Grambling High School. She spoke about low self-esteem and how it can play a major part in the decisions people make in life. “Low self esteem can cause negative things to happen in a situation that could have been easily avoided. Like my mother always told me, the problem is only 10 percent. The other 90 percent comes from your reaction,” she said.
She informed them that with prom fast approaching there are some things that they should be made aware of, such as drinking and being sexually active.

She said, “Just because it is prom night you don’t have to lower your standards to make someone else happy.”
Chafford mentioned some of the issues she faced in high school and how they affected her self-esteem. She explained to the young ladies the importance of establishing their identities.
“When someone else comes along falsifying your name, it won’t bother you because you know who you are. We must remember that those who talk about others are really unhappy with themselves. We are all God’s children and we must remember that each and everyday,” she said.

“Just waking up in the morning and saying ‘I’m beautiful’ is enough to make your day go right,” Chafford said.
She ended with a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson: “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
On hand to support their queen were members of the Delta Sigma Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Dexter Harris told the young ladies to remember that the decisions that they make on prom night could affect them for the rest of their lives.
Melanie C. Thomas also spoke to the young ladies and assisted Chafford with the interactive portion of the seminar. Young ladies were asked to stand and read self-esteem quotations and explain their meanings. Also, young ladies had to say something good about themselves and others.

“We need to start building up each other. It is as simple as complimenting one other. Tell your classmates that they look nice. Congratulate them when they do well,” said Thomas.
Senior Amanda Sapp of Arcadia said the seminar was very informative because a lot happens before and after prom. “There are simple mistakes that girls can make that they will regret,” she said.

Another senior, Porsha Kennedy, said the seminar was very productive. “The topic she chose is important for young ladies because a lot of young people have low self-esteem. Girls are doing things because they want to be liked,” she said.
The Jonesboro native said the advice will help some girls. “When you feel good about yourself, you will be a go-getter and not wait for things to come to you,” Kennedy said.
Torrey Dean, a former pageant queen and administrative liaison for the laboratory school, hosted the workshop. She said she works with many young ladies who say that they are not as pretty or smart as other girls.

“Most of the times, they never say what’s good about themselves. So it was important to me that I tried to give them something to help them evaluate themselves to see that there is something special about each and every person,” Dean said.
Chafford said she knows that many young people today are struggling with their self-esteem and everybody has issues. “I hope that I can help to change the lives of young women and men by implementing my platform,” she said. “It brought me great pleasure and honor to speak with Grambling High students on the issues of self-esteem.”
Chafford plans to continue to host seminars and rap sessions on campus and in the local communities.