1. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.
2. The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear. Any cup-shaped object placed over the ear produces the same effect.
3. Kanye West’s father, Ray West is a former member of the Black Panther Party.
4. Dr. Horace A. Judson earned his doctoral degree in physical organic chemistry from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
5. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, The Beatles have sold more albums in the United States than any other band.
6. Bob Marley’s father Norval Sinclair Marley was a white English Jamaican.
7. A Haitian woman by the name of Michaelle Jean is the first black Governor General in Canada and only answers to Queen Elizabeth II and the Prime Minister of Canada.
8. Astronaut Mae Jemison became the first African-American woman to enter space when she served on the crew of the Space Shuttle Endeavor in September 1992.
9. In 1993, Toni Morrison was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. She is the first African American to win the coveted prize.
10. In 1940, Hattie McDaniel became the 1st African American to win an Oscar for her supporting role in “Gone with the Wind.”
Disclaimer: Did You Know? is intended for the ACQUIRING KNOWLEDGE ONLY. Please read and expand your mind.