Grambling mourns the loss of two students

The Grambling State family morns the lost of two of its students as the fall 2006 semester kicks off.

Joseph Leonard was elated when he was accepted to Grambling State University. He was a physics major. Because of his self study, he often times carried on conversations with professionals, doctors, and scientist, etc., about their topic of choice. He received many awards and ceriticates recognizing his achievements.

Leonard was born January 7, 1981, to Robert and Bessie Leonard. Joseph, the youngest son of the Leonard family, was kind, fun loving, and caring to his family. Because of his spiritual foundation, he knew the importance of loving others. Joseph was affectionately known as “Joe or “Jose. As a child, he relished the affection from his parents. He especially loved when his mom would make the famous “J” pancake for breakfast. He cherished the times his father taught him teenager, he loved the game of basketball and spent hours perfecting his dunking skills.

Joseph had a natural love of learning and was encouraged by his parents to gain more knowledge. He was a very craftly individual. In the classroom, he was extremely bright and intelligent, but when class was over he pulled a handful of pranks. He was a graduate of Escambia High School in Pensacola, Fla.


Jeremy White


Jeremy White, 20, of Ruston was an incoming freshman that was killed Aug. 16 in a motorcycle crash.

On Aug. 28 he was scheduled to begin a new job as Military Police in Minden.

The journey of life began on December 6, 1985 when our beloved son was born to Carla Mays and Dexter White. Jeremy attended early education in Lincoln Parish and was a 2005 graduate of Bernice High School.

On March 31, 2004 he enlisted in the LA Army National Guard, Company B-527th Engineering Battalion. On Jun 20, 2006 he was promoted to Specialist. During his enlistment he served in several different capcities assisting in New Orleans and other areas affected by hurricane Katrina; he proudly served his country.

He was also a member of the Captain D’s team where he was employed since February 14, 2005. He loved his co-wokers and his supervisors, Donna, (whom he affectionately called Crow) and Chad.

Jeremy loved life and tried each day to live it to the fullest. His warm smile and charming personality drew people close to him.

“We didn’t have the chance to say a proper “Good-bye” our hearts were saddened and all we could do was cry. But the Lord has given us strength,” family members said as they remembered Jeremy.