Athletes make too much money
I'm a huge sports fan, but I recently I have finally came to a conclusion: Athletes make too money.In the midst of our economy being in a recession, where 4 million people do not have jobs, we continue to see athletes get paid truckloads of money, while the rest of us struggle. It sounds like I'm hating, but I'm not. I'm just telling the truth.
Exhibit A of athletes making too much money: Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who just signed a seven-year, $100 million deal, which includes $41 million in guaranteed money.
Keep in mind that the Washington Redskins laid of 23 front office employees. I like Albert Haynesworth. He is one of the best players in the NFL, but you can't convince me that a defensive tackle is worth $100 million.
If that is not a good example, what about Exhibit B? All those 18- and 19-year-olds who play in the NBA. These players are given million-dollar contracts, even though they cannot even legally drink.
Enough with the examples. We all know that athletes make too much money. It is sad that we live in a country where we pay people a lot of money to entertain us, but pay people very little to inform us.
If it were my choice, teachers would be the highest-paid professionals.
Why not? Pay someone who will actually impact the world and make a difference. An athlete does not make a difference in the world; if you don't watch the sport you probably won't know who the person is.
It's a shame that people in this world make a lot of money doing something that really doesn't matter in the long run. To me it's not fair at all, but we all know life is not fair. People go to school for years and they would not even come close to make as much as an athlete make. It's just not fair.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Gramblinite News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GRAMBLINITE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GRAMBLINITE NEWS
RECENT THE GRAMBLINITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT