Athletes make too much money
I'm a huge sports fan, but I recently I have finally came to a conclusion: Athletes make too money.In the midst of our economy being in a recession, where 4 million people do not have jobs, we continue to see athletes get paid truckloads of money, while the rest of us struggle. It sounds like I'm hating, but I'm not. I'm just telling the truth.
Exhibit A of athletes making too much money: Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who just signed a seven-year, $100 million deal, which includes $41 million in guaranteed money.
Keep in mind that the Washington Redskins laid of 23 front office employees. I like Albert Haynesworth. He is one of the best players in the NFL, but you can't convince me that a defensive tackle is worth $100 million.
If that is not a good example, what about Exhibit B? All those 18- and 19-year-olds who play in the NBA. These players are given million-dollar contracts, even though they cannot even legally drink.
Enough with the examples. We all know that athletes make too much money. It is sad that we live in a country where we pay people a lot of money to entertain us, but pay people very little to inform us.
If it were my choice, teachers would be the highest-paid professionals.
Why not? Pay someone who will actually impact the world and make a difference. An athlete does not make a difference in the world; if you don't watch the sport you probably won't know who the person is.
It's a shame that people in this world make a lot of money doing something that really doesn't matter in the long run. To me it's not fair at all, but we all know life is not fair. People go to school for years and they would not even come close to make as much as an athlete make. It's just not fair.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Gramblinite News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GRAMBLINITE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GRAMBLINITE NEWS
- Science and technology freshmen working to advance education
- Titan of boxing passes away
- Teams use summer to build, train
- Two student-athletes receive Arthur Ashe Jr. sports award
- Pruitt excels: GSU baseballer to represent school, SWAC
- History of Juneteenth festival
- Celebrating dads is important in black community
RECENT THE GRAMBLINITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Peace of Mind in Retirement
- Florida Remains Launch Pad to Space Thanks to Private Firms
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain