Two GSU students killed in accident
Two Grambling State University students were killed and two others were injured in a one-vehicle accident on Interstate 20 at 3:12 a.m. today.
University officials said Marquist McCray and Marcus D. Watson, both 20, were pronounced dead at the scene. McCray, from Shreveport, was a junior majoring in pre-law and a member of the Tiger Marching Band.
Watson, from Bastrop, was a junior majoring in management and a member of the basketball team.
John R. Dorsey, a 19-year old freshman majoring in elementary education from Neptune, New Jersey, and member of the basketball team, was treated and released at Lincoln General Hospital in Ruston.
Harold "Jamar" Lewis, 22, from Monroe, suffered severe burns and was transported from Lincoln General Hospital to the LSU Burn Center in Shreveport. He is a senior majoring in elementary education.
Louisiana State Police Troop F reported that the vehicle was westbound on I-20 when it ran off the road and into the median.
The driver over corrected to the right, crossed both lanes and ran off the right side of the road and struck a tree.
The vehicle caught fire. The two front occupants were pulled from the burning vehicle, but the two backseat occupants remained inside and were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver was taken to Lincoln General in Ruston and was later en-route to a burn center. The driver was cited for two counts of vehicular homicide.
Alcohol was a factor, state police said.
State police would not release additional information.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Gramblinite News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GRAMBLINITE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GRAMBLINITE NEWS
RECENT THE GRAMBLINITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT