Two GSU students killed in accident
Two Grambling State University students were killed and two others were injured in a one-vehicle accident on Interstate 20 at 3:12 a.m. today.
University officials said Marquist McCray and Marcus D. Watson, both 20, were pronounced dead at the scene. McCray, from Shreveport, was a junior majoring in pre-law and a member of the Tiger Marching Band.
Watson, from Bastrop, was a junior majoring in management and a member of the basketball team.
John R. Dorsey, a 19-year old freshman majoring in elementary education from Neptune, New Jersey, and member of the basketball team, was treated and released at Lincoln General Hospital in Ruston.
Harold "Jamar" Lewis, 22, from Monroe, suffered severe burns and was transported from Lincoln General Hospital to the LSU Burn Center in Shreveport. He is a senior majoring in elementary education.
Louisiana State Police Troop F reported that the vehicle was westbound on I-20 when it ran off the road and into the median.
The driver over corrected to the right, crossed both lanes and ran off the right side of the road and struck a tree.
The vehicle caught fire. The two front occupants were pulled from the burning vehicle, but the two backseat occupants remained inside and were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver was taken to Lincoln General in Ruston and was later en-route to a burn center. The driver was cited for two counts of vehicular homicide.
Alcohol was a factor, state police said.
State police would not release additional information.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Gramblinite News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GRAMBLINITE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GRAMBLINITE NEWS
- Science and technology freshmen working to advance education
- Titan of boxing passes away
- Teams use summer to build, train
- Two student-athletes receive Arthur Ashe Jr. sports award
- Pruitt excels: GSU baseballer to represent school, SWAC
- History of Juneteenth festival
- Celebrating dads is important in black community
RECENT THE GRAMBLINITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum