Two GSU students killed in accident
Two Grambling State University students were killed and two others were injured in a one-vehicle accident on Interstate 20 at 3:12 a.m. today.
University officials said Marquist McCray and Marcus D. Watson, both 20, were pronounced dead at the scene. McCray, from Shreveport, was a junior majoring in pre-law and a member of the Tiger Marching Band.
Watson, from Bastrop, was a junior majoring in management and a member of the basketball team.
John R. Dorsey, a 19-year old freshman majoring in elementary education from Neptune, New Jersey, and member of the basketball team, was treated and released at Lincoln General Hospital in Ruston.
Harold "Jamar" Lewis, 22, from Monroe, suffered severe burns and was transported from Lincoln General Hospital to the LSU Burn Center in Shreveport. He is a senior majoring in elementary education.
Louisiana State Police Troop F reported that the vehicle was westbound on I-20 when it ran off the road and into the median.
The driver over corrected to the right, crossed both lanes and ran off the right side of the road and struck a tree.
The vehicle caught fire. The two front occupants were pulled from the burning vehicle, but the two backseat occupants remained inside and were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver was taken to Lincoln General in Ruston and was later en-route to a burn center. The driver was cited for two counts of vehicular homicide.
Alcohol was a factor, state police said.
State police would not release additional information.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Gramblinite News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GRAMBLINITE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GRAMBLINITE NEWS
- Science and technology freshmen working to advance education
- Titan of boxing passes away
- Teams use summer to build, train
- Two student-athletes receive Arthur Ashe Jr. sports award
- Pruitt excels: GSU baseballer to represent school, SWAC
- History of Juneteenth festival
- Celebrating dads is important in black community
RECENT THE GRAMBLINITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities