Teams use summer to build, train
While most students are taking advantage of the semester break to take a much needed summer vacation, two athletic programs on the campus of Grambling State University have decided to use the time to build upon their teams’ strengths and capabilities.
The Tigers’ football and men’s basketball team began their summer workouts shortly after the first session of summer school.
Both teams are affording themselves the opportunity to reinforce their strengths which will properly prepare them for this upcoming athletic season.
Led by head coach Broderick Fobbs, a large number of the G-Men (9-3 overall, 9-1 SWAC) have began their summer workouts with drills and individual training behind the guidance of Strength and Conditioning Coach Jarwarski Beckum.
Workouts for the G-Men begin as early as 6:05 in the morning.
“When we enter our offseason phase there are still things that need to be fixed. Weaknesses can be strengthened and mistakes can be corrected,” said Beckum.
During their workouts, the players are also able to improve on their individuals strengths by participating in weight training and exercises while on the practice field drill instructions are rendered by Coach Beckum.
Less than a half a mile down the road, the men’s basketball team, (7-24 overall, 4-14 SWAC) under the direction of head Coach Shawn Walker, are also working to strengthen themselves as a team and individually in the Recreational Intramural Facility. The players assemble in the intramural center at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday and Thursday and have weight training on Monday and Wednesday of each week.
“It gives us as a team an opportunity to develop a skill we didn’t have a year ago. We’re working hard both individually and collectively. Last year we didn’t have any of the players for the summer; this year we have eight,” said Coach Walker.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More The Gramblinite News Articles
Recent The Gramblinite News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GRAMBLINITE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GRAMBLINITE NEWS
- Science and technology freshmen working to advance education
- Titan of boxing passes away
- Teams use summer to build, train
- Two student-athletes receive Arthur Ashe Jr. sports award
- Pruitt excels: GSU baseballer to represent school, SWAC
- History of Juneteenth festival
- Celebrating dads is important in black community
RECENT THE GRAMBLINITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards