Two student-athletes receive Arthur Ashe Jr. sports award
Known for his great commitment to education as well as his passion for the game of tennis, Arthur Ashe Jr. was a pioneer and role model for young athletes to model after. Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, a nationally-read newsmagazine, sponsors the Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar Awards. The award recognizes and honors undergraduate students who have excelled in the classroom as well as on the athletic field.
Two student-athletes from Grambling State University, Tafadzwa Chiridza of the Lady Tigers’ tennis team and Jonathan Wallace of Tigers’ football team, were both nominated and received certificates of honor for their achievements. Initially nominated by Manager of Sports Medicine Vernita Young and members of the Grambling State University Department of Athletics personnel, both Chiridza and Wallace demonstrate a commitment to community service and student leadership.“The Athletic Department at GSU is thrilled to hear that Tafadzwa Chirizda and Jonathan Wallace were awarded the Arthur Ashe Jr. certificates. Both were outstanding students in the classroom and epitomizes fair play and sportsmanship in every respect,” said Interim Athletic Director Obadiah Simmons.
“I had no idea that I had been nominated but I am extremely honored and grateful to receive this award under one of the most notable tennis players in history, Arthur Ashe,” said the Harare, Zimbabwe native. “It is indeed a grand honor to be recognized as one of the top sports-scholars in the entire country,” said Wallace of Rayville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More The Gramblinite News Articles
Recent The Gramblinite News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GRAMBLINITE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GRAMBLINITE NEWS
- Science and technology freshmen working to advance education
- Titan of boxing passes away
- Teams use summer to build, train
- Two student-athletes receive Arthur Ashe Jr. sports award
- Pruitt excels: GSU baseballer to represent school, SWAC
- History of Juneteenth festival
- Celebrating dads is important in black community
RECENT THE GRAMBLINITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards